Saturday, October 31, 2009

Adult Learning and the Workplace - Blog 3

Field's article reminded me of an article we read in a previous class (Education Pays: The Benefits of Higher Education for the Individual and Society by Baum and Ma). Both articles discussed the many benefits associated with adult learning. I found it interested that Field touched on a few negatives to adult learning, stress in particular. I am sure we can all attest to many stressful times during the course of this last year. One area that has been hard for me is sometimes having to put my children on the back burner (for lack of a better phrase) for a few hours to complete a paper or study for an upcoming test. Just the other day my daughter asked me how much longer I would be going to school. I told her that I plan to graduate in a year. Her comment to me was "A YEAR, YOU HAVE BEEN GOING TO SCHOOL MY WHOLE LIFE." I am sure if does feel that way to her at times, because at times it has seemed that way to me too. However, I do feel that the many advantages to adult learning outweigh the negative and I hope my children never stop seeking opportunities to learn, whether at college or at their future place of employment.

At the workplace, professional development is essential. We should all have opportunities available to further our education and seek advancements. The idea of cross-training has been mentioned several times at my college. Many departments do not have a clue what the other department does. How can we work as a whole when there seems to be missing links? The more we can learn about all areas of the college would seem like a win-win situation for the faculty, staff, and students.

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    I agree that cross-training and a better understanding of other departments would be beneficial in our work setting. There are so many variables and responsibilities in each department and no one can understand what an individual does unless they are in the same position. By learning about each other and each position, we are able to further advance our institution and foster rapport among faculty and staff.

    ReplyDelete