Friday, September 25, 2009

The Brain of an Adult Learner - Blog 1

As I reviewed the readings for this blog, the key implication that kept coming to my mind was reflection, reflection, reflection. With respect to brain function, reflection seems to play a vital role when making connections between experiences and adult learning. Adults experience a variety of events that have the potential to be life changing. It is when the adult actually reflects on those events that true learning occurs in the brain. Taylor goes on to give teaching tools that will assist the adult learner with their own self-examination of past expereinces. These include narratives, autobiographies, journals and writing-to-learn. Through these types of activities, adults can become keenly aware of how different events in their lives have changed and molded them into the person they are today.

Another topic in the readings that caught my attention was memorization. With mere memorization, typically adult learners' recollection is short-lived unless a connection can be made with an experience or activity. In other words, the memorization must have some meaningful application for the learner. I can attest to this concept. I have been in many classes where I have simply memorized enough to pass a test. If you asked me the same information the following week, I would be unable to recall it. True learning did not take place.

5 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I can truly relate to short lived memorization in my life. In school and in everyday functions, I have experienced short-term memory loss as well as no recollection of some events at all! I have gone so far as unknowingly putting the dish soap in the refrigerator and also loosing my cell phone in the crisper. Both of these events occured when I was under high stress and high pressure at work. Had I made a connection with the action of unloading groceries or washing dishes, I probably would not have left my phone in the crisper or lost the dish soap in the fridge :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    You hit the nail on the head regarding memorization. It works really well for the very short term but without the neural connections to embed it into long term memory, the odds of truly knowing it down the road are slim. I think that memorization can be an aid to learning but by itself is not sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    Reflection, reflection, reflection! Yes! That's very important for adult learning....keep reflecting!

    vachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    Unfortunately memorization has been a major part of many classes throughout my higher education experience. I have done very well in these classes, don't remember anything I learned. I guess that's because I really didn't "learn" anything at all. It's really sad to me that I have taken so many classes but have so little to show for it other than an "A" in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned the reading that talked about all the different writing activities and how reflection through a writing activity can create effective learning. Even though I REALLY do not like to write about myself and any writing assignment that asks me to do this gives me great anxiety, I have to say that this type of exercise forces me to ask myself some deep seeded questions. The reflective answers to these questions are usually great catalysts for deeper personal insight and growth.

    ReplyDelete